About the Program
This program ran from 2012 to mid 2014 and was originally funded by The United Way as a project.
- Spots for children (ages 8-11, to learn ukulele) and youth (ages 12-16, to learn guitar)
- Classes were delivered by professional music teachers
- Collaboration with Kingston School of Music, Limestone Music and Renaissance Music and Kingston Sound Works, each supplying a teacher, instrument and supplies.
- Ukulele or guitar and songbooks supplied
- Children got to keep the ukulele, songbook and CD
- Fall, winter and Spring sessions of 10 weekly lessons were available
- Classes were run as groups and it was phased out due to lack of registration, we needed a minimum of 5 students/per group to run a class.
In total, 30 children were put through the program over the 2 years that it ran, we are focusing on the supply of instruments and collaborating with other teaching programs such as Rising Artists program in Rideau Heights delivered by Kingston Community Health Centre and Sistema Kingston, in collaboration with the Queen’s Conservatory and Limestone District School Board.